Friday, October 2, 2009

Chicago 2016 -- Failed


I will admit I am quite conflicted about the epic failure of Chicago's Olympic Bid for the 2016 Summer Games.

I love my country and as a Nationalist, there is a lot of National pride that comes with the Olympics. One only need to remember the powerful "U-S-A, U-S-A" chants during Olympic events to recognize the outpouring of National Spirit. The Olympics are an International Spectacle that puts the host city on a Pedestal.

That pedestal at the same time, is the reason why one would not want to host the Olympics. Chicago in 2016 would be a basket case. The inevitable cost overruns would hurt the financial viability of Chicago. Only the 2002 games in Salt Lake City made a profit, the rest of black holes; Athens is still paying off its debt.

I think the biggest slap in the face is that Chicago finished 4th. Chicago is the 2nd City and a close second is where I wanted Chicago to end up. Losing to Tokyo and Madrid was unexpected and hurts a little bit.

Rio De Janeiro will make an excellent Olympic Host and a first for South America. It will be a great Olympics to watch and I am sure they will put on a great show. I also like the idea of Christ the Redeemer overlooking the competition.

2 comments:

James H said...

I am pretty disappointed because in mnay wyas it easy to get too for many of us

CatholicSoldier said...

Yeah, it would have been a great event for the average American to get to the games, but there are 400 Million Thrilled Brazilians right now.